post office 66a princes highway bodalla nsw 2545
valerie faber
ph 0244 735 011 or 0421 238 174


 

 

 

 


home       upcoming exhibitions       past exhibitions       where are we         history      artists


history of the post office at 66 princes highway bodalla

The substantial post office and adjoining residence have local historical significance for the provision of postal services on this site since 1899, a service that had been provided in Bodalla for 42 years prior on different sites in the town.

In 1898 the site of the present post office was surveyed and the building built in c1899. In 1907 it was decided to lower the status of the post office to semi-official ranking, it being then an official building. W Jackson's daughter, Miss K Jackson from Greta, was appointed to take over from her father on 9 May 1908. Her sister Ivy took over from 1 January 1910 replica watches uk sale. Miss Ivy Jackson later resigned and was succeeded by Mrs A C Vandenbergh who was at Batemans Bay previously as semi-official post mistress. She took charge on 7 May 1914 and remained until 7 January 1951 when the post office was accorded official status.

The building is aesthetically representative of this era of post office development throughout the South Coast region but its scale and combination of unusual design elements significance to the Bodalla area community for providing a focus for Bodalla's commercial centre since the turn of the century.

The post office in 1997 (above)